An unusual memorial in the churchyard is that of Prince Lee Boo (d.1784), the son of the King of the Belau Islands, whose monument was erected by the East India Company. The churchyard immediately adjacent to the church was opened to the public in 1909, while the main part of the churchyard had been opened as a public garden in 1901, now called St Mary's Churchyard Gardens.
There has been a church here since at least the 10th century, the present church of St Mary's Rotherhithe dating from the early-18th century. Rotherhithe had strong maritime connections, with many seafarers among its parishioners. In 1620 The Mayflower sailed from here to pick up the Pilgrim Fathers, and three of its four part-owners were buried in Rotherhithe churchyard.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted (part to north only, rest visible through railings). Church open 7am-6pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted (part to north only, rest visible through railings). Church open 7am-6pm.
DirectionsLondon Overground: Rotherhithe. Tube: Bermondsey (Jubilee). Bus: 47, 188, 381, C10
- Medieval (1066-1540)
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust