The former churchyard was laid out as a garden with lawns, flower beds, shrubs and trees, and a row of benches against the church wall.
St Michael's Church is of early origin, known to have been given to the Abbey and Convent of Evesham in 1055, and in 1503 it was conveyed to the Drapers' Company. The south side of the church had a cloister, and a pulpit cross was erected in the churchyard in 1528. The church was originally open to the north to Cornhill with a small churchyard but this was sold and built over between 1547-53. The church was destroyed in the Great Fire and rebuilt by 1672, the tower initially repaired then rebuilt by 1721. Some of Wren's work was lost when St Michael's was remodelled in 1857-60 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Many famous people were buried here, including Robert Fabian, John Stow's father and grandfather, and Sir William Cowper.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open Mon-Fri 8.30am-5pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open Mon-Fri 8.30am-5pm.
DirectionsTube: Bank (Central, DLR, Northern, Waterloo & City) / Monument (Circle, District)
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust