The former churchyard of St Clement survives as a raised garden with entrance gate and C18th-style railings on the alleyway of St Clement's Court on the north side of the church.
A church dedicated to St Clement, a C1st Roman converted to Christianity, was recorded here in a charter of 1067, the locality called Eastcheap by reason of the medieval market or 'Cheap' that served the east of the City. Celebrated lectures on the Creed were delivered here in the later C17th by Bishop Pearson, who became Bishop of Chester and at one time Henry Purcell was organist. The church had been rebuilt in 1658 but was destroyed in the Great Fire and rebuilt by Wren in 1683/87, one of the smallest of his parish churches. The parish was joined by that of St Martin Orgar whose site became the burial ground for the parishes.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open during the week.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open during the week.
DirectionsTube: Bank (Central, DLR, Northern, Waterloo & City) / Monument (Circle, District).
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St Clement Eastcheap
London Parks and Gardens Trust