The churchyard is now laid out as public gardens with a raised area of grass, trees and shrubbery on either side of the path from the entrance on St Peter's Alley. Surmounted on the Victorian wrought iron gates is a small figure of St Peter. The garden was re-landscaped in 1997.
Although the first written reference to St Peter Cornhill is in 1040, there is a legend that the church was founded in AD179 by Lucius, first Christian King of Britain. A Roman wall passed beneath the north-east corner of the church. Destroyed in the Great Fire, the present church was built by Wren in 1677-84. There was a churchyard by 1231 to the south of the church, which was mentioned by Charles Dickens in 'Our Mutual Friend', who described the graves 'conveniently and healthfully elevated above the living'.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening of the gardens is unrestricted. Church open by arrangement with St Helen's Bishopsgate.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening of the gardens is unrestricted. Church open by arrangement with St Helen's Bishopsgate.
DirectionsTube: Bank (Central, DLR, Northern, Waterloo & City) / Monument (Circle, District).
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St Peter's Cornhill
London Parks and Gardens Trust