The former churchyard of St Helen Bishopsgate is now a largely paved semi-circular area in front of the church with mature plane trees, a small amount of planting, seating and a number of tombs including an altar tomb to Joseph Lem (d.1686). The low stone wall shows that it was once railed.
It was being used as public open space by 1875, following closure for burials as result of the 1855 Burial Act. St Helen's Church dates from at least the C12th and is unusual in having twin naves as a result of a nuns' church, now the north aisle, which was built parallel to the parish church to serve a Benedictine nunnery established c.1200-1215.
Visitor FacilitiesAccess to the garden is unrestricted. Church: Mon-Fri: 9am-5pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsAccess to the garden is unrestricted. Church: Mon-Fri: 9am-5pm.
DirectionsRail: Liverpool Street. Tube: Liverpool Street (Central, Metropolitan, Circle, Hammersmith & City)
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust