The small raised churchyard garden is railed, with two memorial seats, a tree, small flower beds and a number of slate tombstones set into the paving.
St Andrew Undershaft stands on Leadenhall Street at the junction with St Mary Axe, with what remains of its former churchyard to the north. It became known as St Andrew Undershaft in the C15th in reference to the shaft or maypole set up each year by the south door, a practice that continued until 1 May 1517. The maypole hung under the eves of nearby cottages in Shaft Alley until 1549 when it was finally destroyed, declared idolatrous by the curate of St Katharine Cree. Among those buried here were John Stow (d.1605), author of the famous 'Survey of London', a regular worshipper here; and Mary Datchelor (d.1725), a great benefactor of the parish.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted; Church open by arrangement with St Helen's Bishopsgate.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted; Church open by arrangement with St Helen's Bishopsgate.
DirectionsTube: Aldgate (Metropolitan, Circle)
London Parks and Gardens Trust