The churchyard has many fine tombs, a number of wooden graveboards on the north side, and among the trees are mature yews some 300 years old. In 2000 a yew cutting was planted in the south west corner taken from the Eastling Yew in Kent, a tree alive at the time of Christ’s incarnation. The churchyard was closed to burials in the late-19th century and is now maintained as part of the Living Churchyards Project, a national initiative that aims to conserve and enhance the wildlife heritage found in churchyards
St Mary's is the mother church to which St John's at Chipping Barnet was once a chapel at ease. The church had belonged to St Albans Abbey and until the 13th century it served the whole of Barnet. The lych-gate, originally erected in 1872, was rebuilt in 1991.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Oakleigh Park/New Barnet then bus. Bus: 307
- 12th Century
- Medieval (1066-1540)
Official WebsiteClick Here
Diocese of St Albans
London Parks and Gardens Trust