A relic of the Minchenden House grounds remains in the form of the Minchenden or Chandos Oak, an ancient pollarded oak tree, reputed in the C19th to be the largest in England. The Garden was created by Southgate Borough Council as an evergreen Garden of Remembrance and opened on 12 May 1934.
Minchenden Oak Garden is remnant of the estate of Minchenden House, owned in the C18th by the 3rd Duke of Chandos and later the Marquis of Buckingham. By 1836 the estate was sold to the Walker family and the grounds incorporated into their Arnos Grove estate. The old mansion was demolished in 1853 although a smaller house, Minchenden Lodge, was built in the mid C19th to the north.
Visitor FacilitiesThe garden is open from 8am Mon-Sat / 8.30am Sundays to dusk (refer to Council website for seasonal details).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe garden is open from 8am Mon-Sat / 8.30am Sundays to dusk (refer to Council website for seasonal details).
DirectionsTube: Southgate (Piccadilly) then bus. Bus: 121, 299, W6
London Parks and Gardens Trust