The churchyard was enlarged a number of times in the 18th and 19th centuries, and although it has mature trees including oak and yew, some of its trees were felled in 1974.
The land here once belonged to the Abbot of St Albans, later given to the Bishop of London by William the Conqueror, and in around 1199 it passed to the Order of St John of Jerusalem from where the name Friern comes. When the Order was dissolved Henry VIII bestowed it to St Paul's Cathedral. The original church of St James the Great dates from the 12th century; after 1853 it was rebuilt and enlarged to provide additional seating.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Totteridge & Whetstone (Northern) then bus. Bus: 234.
- Medieval (1066-1540)
- 12th Century
Diocese of London
London Parks and Gardens Trust