The churchyard was laid out with seats and fenced with railings from old London Bridge. Two stone pillars with drinking fountains stand at the entrance on Bishopsgate.
The parish of St Botolph is mentioned in a document of 1213 and the churchyard was recorded as having a female anchorite in 1413. A Norman church pre-dated the medieval church, which was replaced by the current church in 1729. In 1760 the churchyard was extended to its present size with ground donated by the Common Council. The tennis court that abuts the churchyard is on an area of burial ground added in 1617, once part of the ditch outside the City walls. A Church School for infants was built west of the graveyard in 1861. The churchyard was one of the first to be made into a public garden in 1863, following the Burial Act of 1855.
Visitor FacilitiesAccess is unrestricted. Church: Mon-Fri 8am-5.30pm
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsAccess is unrestricted. Church: Mon-Fri 8am-5.30pm
DirectionsRail: Liverpool Street. Tube: Liverpool Street (Central, Metropolitan, Circle, Hammersmith & City)
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust