The Tower is now within a small paved public garden, surrounded by railings.
The medieval Tower of All Hallows Staining is all that remains of a church that was on this site from 1218/9. The tower is thought to be that of the second church, enlarged in 1615, which survived the Great Fire in 1666 but collapsed in 1671 probably owing to the weakening of its foundations caused by the large number of burials in the churchyard. Although it was rebuilt in 1674 the church was demolished in 1870, and the site sold to the Clothworkers' Company who restored the tower in 1872/3 when the C12th crypt of Lambe's Chapel was rebuilt here.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open during the week.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open during the week.
DirectionsRail: Fenchurch Street. Tube: Aldgate (Metropolitan, Circle)
London Parks and Gardens Trust