The current layout as a garden dates from 1965; the C17th gateway to the churchyard was installed with a wall fountain, and a plaque records it as the Fitch Garden, 'dedicated to those who work in this City and to the memory of James Fitch 1762-1818'. Fitch had opened a cheesemongers shop near here in 1784, a family firm still existing as Fitch Lovell Ltd when the garden was opened in 1965.
The present church of St Katharine Cree was built in 1628-31 when the older church was pulled down apart from its tower of c.1504. Creechurch, abbreviated from Christchurch, referred to the Priory of Holy Trinity, Christ Church in Aldgate, founded in 1108. St Katharine's served inhabitants of the priory precinct before it became a separate parish church in 1414. According to church records of 1565 the churchyard was occasionally the venue for performance of morality plays by groups of travelling actors.
Visitor FacilitiesThe garden is open Mon-Fri 10.30am-4pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe garden is open Mon-Fri 10.30am-4pm.
DirectionsTube: Liverpool Street (Central, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan, Circle). Rail: Liverpool Street.
London Parks and Gardens Trust