In 1926, the LCC laid out 24 acres of the old Valence lands as a public park, two-thirds for informal recreation with open space, grass and some trees. Various facilities were provided, a bandstand and formal planting, but the majority has now gone, including its open-air swimming pool, which closed in 1971. Facilities at the site include a children's play area, four football pitches and a fishing lake (old moat).
Valence House was once the manor house for the largest estate in Dagenham. The present building is early-17th century and stood in 5 acres of gardens and orchards, surrounded by a moat. In 1921 the London County Council purchased Valence lands for the Becontree Housing Estate but in 1926 leased then sold the house and immediate grounds to Dagenham UDC; it now contains the Council’s Museum and O'Leary Gallery. Fragments of the north and east edges of the grounds survive, as does part of the angle of the moat; the grounds have 19th-century Holm oak and yew, and a period-style Herb Garden opened in 1992 in the former Victorian kitchen garden.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 7.15am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 7.15am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Chadwell Heath then bus. Tube: Becontree (District) then bus. Bus: 5, 62, 128, 173, 174, 364.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust