Facilities at Southall Park include a playground and play centre, multi-use games area and an adult exercise area.
Southall Park opened to the public in 1909, the land having been acquired by Southall-Norwood UDC in around 1908. In the 17th century it was part of the estate of Christopher Merrick, second-largest landowner in the area, whose mansion was originally called Shepherds Haw. In the 19th century Southall Park was used as a school and then as a private asylum. In 1883 Southall Park House burnt down with the loss of six lives including that of proprietor Dr Boyd, a catastrophe that led to the establishment of Southall Fire Brigade. The Council laid out the grounds with new footpaths and a circular walk, a bandstand, tennis courts, bowling green and play area, a boating lake added in 1922, now a dell. There was formal bedding along principal walks with annual planting of some 40,000 plants from the park's small nursery, and a secluded rose garden. Concerts and garden parties were regularly held and it was the venue for celebrations such as Southall Charter Day in 1936.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 7.30am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 7.30am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Southall. Bus: 95, 105, 120, 195, 207, 427, 482, 607, H32, E5
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust