Over the years in private ownership the grounds developed and had formal gardens, topiary, orchards, tennis and croquet lawns. Various amenities were laid out in the 1920s/30s, including new gardens, a bowling green and a cottage for the Park Superintendent. Land at the rear became the main council nursery. The overall layout has little changed although some of the features are lost, and the garden now contains a series of hedged areas, an Arts & Crafts sunken garden with pool, flower gardens and a rockery.
Southall - Norwood UDC purchased the C16th Manor House in 1913, opening the grounds as public gardens. The house was used as council offices until 1965, later leased to Southall Chamber of Commerce. Originally a house called The Wrenns, it was purchased in 1572 and rebuilt as an Elizabethan mansion by Francis Awsiter, remaining in his family until 1821. Henry VIII reputedly planted the Mulberry tree that still exists.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 7.30am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 7.30am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Southall. Bus: E5, 95, 105, 120.
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust