Among the monuments is a fine 19th-century sarcophagus to the Robins family of neighbouring Norwood Hall. The area was largely agricultural until the late-19th century and the large village green and some old buildings, including the parish church, remain to mark the old village centre.
Before becoming Norwood Parish Church in 1859, St Mary the Virgin was originally a chapel of ease within the large parish of Hayes and under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Canterbury until 1846. Henry Chichele, Archbishop in 1414, provided money to restore the chapel in 1439 and gave the octagonal font; a stone cross commemorating him was erected in the churchyard in 1894. Victims of the plague of 1665 were buried in the churchyard.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Southall then bus. Bus: 120.
- Medieval (1066-1540)
Diocese of London
London Parks and Gardens Trust