The cemetery has paths laid out in a grid, and a number of interesting monuments. A variety of trees are planted within the cemetery, particularly along the Havelock Road boundary, including yew and Cedars near the entrance. There is a small raised circular bed with floral planting and a yew walk leading to the gates on Church Avenue. The cemetery is now closed to new burials, and only used for burials in re-opened family owned graves.
Havelock Cemetery was opened in 1883 by the local Burial Board when the parish churchyard of St John's was becoming overcrowded. The cemetery was consecrated by the Bishop of London. A mortuary was built in 1895 near the west boundary, and a small chapel in 1896 towards the east, but neither remains today.
Visitor Facilities8am - weekdays, 9am weekends. Closing: 4.30pm Nov-Feb; 5.30pm Mar, Oct; 7pm Sept, Apr; 8pm May-Aug.
Detailed DescriptionHavelock Cemetery opened in 1883 as Southall's parish churchyard was becoming overcrowded. It is named after Sir Henry Havelock, the British army general who was prominent in suppressing the Indian Mutiny of 1857. A mortuary was built in 1895 and a small mortuary chapel in 1896, neither remaining today. It was extended to the north in 1924. The entrance on Church Avenue has cast-iron gates, gate piers and railings, as does the main entrance on Havelock Road. There are a few interesting monuments, a yew walk, and a variety of trees particularly along the Havelock Road boundary, including yew and Cedars near the entrance.
C Webb revised ed of P Wolfston 'Greater London Cemeteries and Crematoria', Society of Genealogists, 1994; Jonathan Oates, 'Images of England: Southall' (Tempus Publishing, 2001, 2003 ed) p.73
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=EAL023
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details8am - weekdays, 9am weekends. Closing: 4.30pm Nov-Feb; 5.30pm Mar, Oct; 7pm Sept, Apr; 8pm May-Aug.
DirectionsRail: Southall. Bus: E5, 105, 120, 195.
London Parks and Gardens Trust