Features of Parliament Hill Fields include a number of scattered trees, a cafe, bowls and a lido.
It is not known why Parliament Hill is so-called. In 1884 George Shaw-Lefevre MP, a key player in preserving Hampstead Heath, began fund-raising to extend the Heath. Parliament Hill, then part of the Kenwood estate and used for grazing, was valuable for its development potential. It became public open space under the Hampstead Heath Enlargement Act of 1886 and in 1889 was acquired by the Metropolitan Board of Works. A tumulus excavated in 1894 popularly thought to be the tomb of Boadicea is more likely an early Bronze Age burial mound. Ponds had facilities for bathing, fishing, model yachting and skating and level ground was used for sports. Other facilities included a bandstand, refreshment house and The Lido in around 1938, one of 13 built by the LCC in the 1920s and 30s.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsLondon Overground: Gospel Oak, Hampstead Heath. Bus: C2, C11, 214
London Parks and Gardens Trust