The site now houses an independent boarding school, retaining gardens and woodland around the school buildings.
Royal Russell School, then known as Ballards School, was built in 1924 on the former Ballards Estate. The school's origins date back to 1853 when a charity was established by a group of City clerks to clothe, support and educate orphaned children from deceased colleagues in warehousing and manufacturing trades. Initially in New Cross, the school moved to larger premises in Caterham Junction in 1862, and then to the current site after WWI. The land was donated by Lord Hollingsworth, of the retailer Bourne and Hollingsworth, who had purchased 44.5 hectares of the Ballards Estate in the early 1920s. The school is named after its first president, former Prime Minister Lord John Russell.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsTramlink: Lloyd Park, Coombe Lane. Bus: 130, 353, 354
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust