The gardens were laid out as a series of 'garden rooms', with a rock garden by an existing pond, and a terrace garden that was once a Fernery. Over the years the gardens have evolved, to include a rose garden, mixed borders and a winter garden of heathers, conifers and shrubs. The stableyard, built in a gravel pit and hidden from view of the house, is now the park café.
The site was part of the large Coombe estate, including woods and commonland, privately owned until the mid-20th century. Croydon Corporation then purchased Coombe Wood and Coombe Wood House, and 14 acres of woodland and ornamental garden were opened to the public in 1948. Coombe Wood House, built in 1898, had a number of public uses, including a convalescent home for Croydon Hospital, a Children's Home, and is now a restaurant.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
DirectionsBus: 250, 468. Tramlink: Route 3 to Coombe Lane, Lloyd Park.