Features of Heathfield include ornamental gardens, woodland walks and rhododendron walks. The former orchard is now an ecology centre.
The house was originally an early-19th century farmhouse. Henry Goschen, 2nd son of Viscount Goschen, bought the estate in 1866/72 and enlarged the property into Heathfield House. The estate fell into disrepair after World War 1, but in 1927 it was purchased and restored by Raymond Riesco. He had formal gardens and terraces laid out, established a small nursery and walled garden, and later created a model farm. In adjoining woodland he planted rhododendrons and azaleas. From 1958 his gardens were open to the public and he entered into an agreement whereby Croydon Corporation would purchase the estate after his death. This took place in 1964 and Heathfield continues to be run by Croydon Council.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk. Ecology Centre: 1st & 3rd Sundays of each month.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk. Ecology Centre: 1st & 3rd Sundays of each month.
DirectionsRail: Purley Oaks, Sanderstead, East Croydon. Rail/London Overground: West Croydon. Tramlink: route 3 to Coombe Lane.
London Parks and Gardens Trust