The golf course was purchased in 1934 by the local council; pre-fabs and then the Shrublands Estate were built on the northern part, with the southern part provided as public open space. The only reminder of Spring Park Wood survives in a small area of woodland surrounded by housing north of Links View Road.
- Visitor Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Hayes then bus. Tramlink: Addington Village. Bus: 119, 138, 198, 246, 314, 353.
- Site of Nature Conservation Importance
Shirley Heath was part of a much larger area of woodland, Spring Park Wood, which was significantly lost to housing development in the early C20th and for a golf course in 1922. The area west of the Bridle Way that runs through the site became known as Kennel Wood because it was where the Old Surrey Foxhounds were kept and trained.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust