One of many long medieval garden plots that make up the majority of the gardens in the village of Willingham. Until the closure of the nearby railway line the gardens were used to produce cut flowers sent every evening to Covent Garden.
Detailed DescriptionThe garden is an example of the long medieval garden plots which made up so much of this village.
Originally 30 meters long by 12 meters wide the garden, like other plots in the village, was used to grow cut flowers which were sent every evening to Covent Garden Flower Market in London, until Dr Beeching axed the local railway line to Cambridge in the late 1960s.
The garden was laid out to include a series of spaces with a Mediterranean garden to the south of the house, a clipped holly 'carousel', a vegetable garden and in the distance an orchard. The length is to be reduced to allow a residential development covering adjacent similar sized gardens.
- Medieval (1066-1540)