A 14 hectare site used in the early part of the 20th century as an extensive plant nursery by Alan Bloom. Bloom left the property in 1947 and it is now a council depot.
Alan Bloom's father planted shelter hedges of laurel and after 1934 Bloom concentrated on alpines and perennials. By 1936, six hectares were in full production growing perennials and alpines for the wholesale trade. New varieties bearing the prefix 'Oakington' were raised and can still be obtained today.
Bloom's 1938 catalogue listed 1,870 items and the nursery increased to 14 hectares, employing 36 full-time staff. He was growing 100,000 each of the named delphiniums and phlox and had increased quantities of herbaceous plants.
- Oakington and
Detailed HistoryAlan Bloom, renowned plantsman and nurseryman, started his first nursery on a six acre site at Meadow House. Although Alan was born at Victoria House, High Street,Over in 1906, his father wanted to devote time to growing flowers and moved in 1922 to an 1860 property set back from the road with no neighbours.
The outbreak of war saw the demise of the nursery which was sited near the RAF bomber station, and Bloom left Oakington in 1941. The property was vacated in 1947 and is now a council depot.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
- Associated People