Grounds and gardens associated with the village college opened in 1939.
Detailed DescriptionHenry Moore agreed to provide a major sculpture for the front of the college. Graham Sutherland designed a mural for the wall at the south end of the promenade, but this work was never paid for. However the college owns the designs for both works of art.
Detailed HistoryImpington Village College was opened in 1939. It was designed by Walter Gropius and Maxwell Fry and described by Sir Nicholas Pevsner as 'One of the best buildings of its date in England, if not the best. Equally successful in its grouping and its setting among the trees of the Impington Hall Estate...'.
Because of the economic depression of 1931 the scheme had been put into abeyance. However, the Chivers family offered additional land and a capital sum of 6,000 pounds. Impington Hall was to also provide a Warden's House, and other college facilities.
The college has frequently been extended from the 1950s.
- Associated People