A Victorian house set in large grounds. The garden contains lilacs, yews and other shrubs, and is surrounded by a new housing estate. The 1880 Ordnance Survey map shows there was once mixed planting, glasshouses, an orchard and a kitchen garden.
Detailed DescriptionThe Victorian house stands in large grounds between Coote's Lane and Daintree's Road, now surrounded by a new housing estate. The garden contains a mixture of lilacs, yews, and other shrubs.
A village hall, a new primary school and a retirement bungalow complex subtly called 'The Plantation' have somewhat changed the original concept of a house with its pleasure grounds and mini park.
Kitchen Garden, Glasshouse, Orchard, Lawn
- Fen Drayton
Detailed HistoryThe 1880 Ordnance Survey map shows the house surrounded by mixed planting of trees and shrubs with the entrance drive to the east.
There was a conservatory on the south-west corner of the house and to the north there was a walled kitchen garden with glasshouses, standing at the edge of a small park to the west with perimeter shelter belt and path. An orchard was located to the east of the house.
By 1924 various improvements to the grounds had taken place, a windpump in the park and a gasometer had been added, but the layout in the kitchen garden had been simplified.