Old Bishop's Palace 6190

Ely, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Features of Old Bishop's Palace include lawns, extensive walled gardens, a glasshouse, and a pond.

History

Old Bishop's Palace was formed in the late-15th century. The Palace is now owned by the Sue Ryder Foundation.

Detailed Description

The north entrance courtyard is simply planted with evergreens. To the south of the Old Palace was a large garden including an extensive walled kitchen garden and glasshouse range. The Ely Cathedral records contain lists of plants in this garden on 25th October 1787, which comprise many half-hardy South African plants which had found their way to Ely. The walled garden no longer forms part of this garden.

In the centre of the lawn is a plane tree planted by Bishop Gunning in 1674, which he had obtained from the Oxford Botanic garden and is now over 120 feet high, the largest plane tree in the county. There is also a fine cut-leaved plane tree and a Gingko. Borders along the south front of the Old Palace are stocked with plants recorded by W. Ingram, the gardener in 1787. The pond is now cleared and is surrounded with sympathetic planting and the garden is enjoyed by patients and their relatives.

Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Glasshouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Palace (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Ely
History

Detailed History

Two brick towers were built by Bishop Alcock between 1486 and 1500 at the east end of the green, and were later joined by three sides of a courtyard around 1670, which replaced a 13th-century hall. By 1985 the site was derelict and following the sale of the property to the Sue Ryder Foundation, the garden was cleared and is being replanted.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust