Haddenham Garden Remains 6204

Haddenham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Previous features of Haddenham Garden remains include a canal, terraces, a pond, a cascade and an avenue.

History

Haddenham Garden remains were created in the late-17th or early-18th centuries.

Detailed Description

Prior to 1969, the earthwork remains of an elaborate garden, possibly late-17th or early-18th century in date, lay on the rising ground to the south and east of the house. They included a former trapezoidal pond and cascade, a long canal, terraces and a fine avenue. It is possible that the gardens were laid out either by Thomas Towers who sold the land in 1693 or by David Rowland, who then bought it. The canal and a parallel avenue were laid out to provide two different views from the house. The site was destroyed for agricultural purposes and only some of the avenue trees, limes and elms, remain.
Features
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Cascade
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Canal
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Haddenham
History

Detailed History

The garden remains of Hinton Hall lie to the east of the village of Haddenham. The present Hinton Hall, a late-19th-century building, stands partly on the site of the earlier house.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust