Wilburton Manor House 6205

Wilburton, England, Cambridgeshire, East Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features of Wilburton Manor House include a drive, an avenue, shrubs, a fish pond, a kitchen garden and an orchard.

History

Wilburton Manor House was created in the mid-19th century.

Detailed Description

Wilburton Manor House stands in a park of 10 hectares, which was planted soon after the house was built. The drive is lined with an avenue of lime trees with shrubs beneath. This avenue continues across Berristead Lane. To the south of the house was a sunken parterre with a central stone sundial. Nearby are fish ponds and to the north of the house a walled kitchen garden and orchard.

Today the house is a school and part of the park is used by the school. Along the Ely road are fine oaks, older than the park which may have been part of the grounds associated with The Berristead around 1600.

Features
  • Sundial
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrub Feature
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Wilburton
History

Detailed History

In 1851 Albert Peel invited A. W. G. Pugin to design him a house north of the Berristead, which had been bought by his father, Sir Albert Peel, in 1817.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust