Longwood Park (also known as Rosehill Park, Longwood Farm)5810

Winchester, Hampshire, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

Longwood Park is a mid-Victorian landscaped park. There was a late-19th-century house by George Devey (now demolished) built on a former walled garden. This commanded fine views. There was possibly an early (1882) Gertrude Jekyll planting scheme. Extant features include a woodland garden and terraces, walls (listed grade II) of the mid-Victorian garden, a re-sited dovecote, and an orchard. In 1993 the park was intact. The site is now a wedding venue.

History

Originally a farm, Rosehill was converted into a gentleman's residence with the addition of a bowling green, a walled ornamental garden, terraces, a woodland garden and shrubberies. On the Milne plan (1791), the minor country house or farmstead is referred to as Rosehill, with Lord Rosehill as the owner. Alterations to the house and longer entrance drive probably took place before 1859, when White's Directory lists Rose Hill, formerly Longwood House, 'as being a mansion set in a park of 100 acres, the seat of the Earl of Northesk VII'. The house and gardens were altered throughout the late-19th century and by the mid-20th century most of the gardens were either destroyed or not maintained.

Detailed Description

On the 1840 Tithe map a 'Bowling Green' and an arable field called 'North Croft' were described. Yet, the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map notes that the bowling green and the field were now laid out as a walled ornamental garden and terraces with formal axial paths. These gardens were surrounded by a woodland garden with grassy glades and gravel paths winding through it. The woodland garden was linked to the house by a lawn, with a summerhouse and sundial, and shrubberies. The mid-19th century walled garden was then converted into a building site for a house designed by George Devey in the 1880s. During the new house's construction, most of the original early-18th century garden associated with the dovecote was removed, along with the sundial and summerhouse. The original house's entrance drive was also removed.

In the late-19th century, a walled kitchen garden was created, and it is likely that Gertrude Jekyll either designed the garden or gave advice to Elizabeth Georgina Frances, wife of the 9th Earl of Northesk. At this time, the Dower House, or Rosehill Cottage, was also constructed. After 1909, the original house was demolished and an orchard was created. As of 1993, the woodland gardens and terraces were no longer maintained, the orchard remained and the park was intact.

In 1993, there was still evidence of the foundations of the Devey and original houses. The woodland garden and terraces were scrub, the walls from the mid-Victorian garden, re-sited dovecote, and orchard remained, and the park was intact.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The 1963 Ordnance Survey map shows an unfinished third house and the ruins of the Devey house. When Pevsner wrote his account of Longwood in 1967 the Devey house had been demolished.
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Wall
  • Description: The mid-19th-century walled garden was the setting for the new 1880s house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Dovecote
  • Description: Re-sited dovecote.
  • Orchard
  • Description: After 1909, probably when the original house was demolished, the orchard was created using the dovecote as one corner and the cottages as the opposite boundary.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Summerhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Owslebury
History

Detailed History

In the 16th century, Longwood Farm was owned by the Bishop of Winchester. At the beginning of the 18th century Longwood was the seat of Lord Carpenter, a distinguished General, who rose from the ranks to the top of his profession and peerage. On the Milne plan (1791), the minor country house or farmstead is referred to as Rosehill, with Lord Rosehill as the owner.

Alterations to the house and longer entrance drive probably took place before 1859, when White's Directory lists Rose Hill, formerly Longwood House, ‘as being a mansion set in a park of 100 acres, the seat of the Earl of Northesk VII'. The secondary title ‘Baron Rosehill in Scotland' was obtained through marriage. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows that the ‘Bowling Green' and the arable field called ‘North Croft' on the 1840 Tithe map, were now laid out as a walled ornamental garden and terraces with formal axial paths. This was surrounded by a woodland garden with grassy glades and gravel paths winding through it, and linked to the house by lawn and shrubberies with a summerhouse and sundial.

The mid-19th-century walled garden was the setting for the new 1880s house, designed by George Devey. The views open across the park, the bowling green pasture boundary was re-aligned and most of the original early-18th-century garden associated with the dovecote was removed along with the sundial and summerhouse. The status of the original house was further subsumed by the removal of its entrance drive. There is a strong possibility that Gertrude Jekyll either designed the garden or gave advice to Elizabeth Georgina Frances, wife of the 9th Earl of Northesk.

Other changes outside the park included the construction of a walled kitchen garden and the Dower House or Rosehill Cottage. After 1909, probably when the original house was demolished, the orchard was created using the dovecote as one corner and the cottages as the opposite boundary. Ownership changed after this period. The Devey house was billeted during World War 2 and was adversely affected as a result. The 1963 Ordnance Survey map shows an unfinished third house and the ruins of the Devey house. When Pevsner wrote his account of Longwood in 1967 the Devey house had been demolished. In 1993, there was still evidence of the foundations of the Devey and original houses. Currently, the house and park are privately owned.

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
Associated People

Just one person associated to Longwood Park

References

Contributors

  • Hampshire Gardens Trust

  • Sally Hocking

    1