Marwell Zoological Park (also known as Marwell Hall)5108

Winchester, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

The gardens lie immediately around the house with the main part on the east front. A north wall shelters the lawns and incorporates a summerhouse. There is also a yew walk and numerous outbuildings. All are now part of Marwell Zoological Park.

History

Marwell Hall dates from the 11th-century, but the present house was re-built in 1816 by William Long, incorporating part of the older house and copying the Tudor style. The estate has had many owners. In 1972, the present owner created a zoo on the estate grounds. Marwell Hall house is now offices for the zoo.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open daily from 10am-6pm. The last admission is 90 minutes before closing. For details please see: http://www.marwell.org.uk/planning_your_day/times_prices.asp?css=1 T: 01962 777407 More information

Detailed Description

The garden immediately around the house is mainly on the east front. To the north are terraced lawns with cedar trees. There is a long north wall with a central summerhouse built into it and a wide border along it. Beyond it were sheltering plantations, an orchard and shady woodland walks and an ancient Yew Walk to Whaddon Lane.

To the south were extensive outbuildings, including a brick well-house, stables, a coach house and garages and a walled kitchen garden with a variety of espalier and wall fruit trees and glasshouses.

Features
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: There is a walled kitchen garden with a variety of espalier and wall fruit trees and glasshouses.
  • Plantation
  • Description: Sheltering plantations.
  • Walk
  • Description: There is an ancient Yew Walk to Whaddon Lane.
  • Espalier
  • Description: There is a walled kitchen garden with a variety of espalier and wall fruit trees and glasshouses.
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: To the north of the house are terraced lawns with cedar trees.
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The present house was re-built in 1816 by Mr William Long in Tudor style and incorporating parts of the old house.
  • Latest Date:
Glasshouse, Summerhouse, Garden Wall, Lawn, Orchard, Stable
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open daily from 10am-6pm. The last admission is 90 minutes before closing. For details please see: http://www.marwell.org.uk/planning_your_day/times_prices.asp?css=1 T: 01962 777407

Directions

http://www.marwell.org.uk/planning_your_day/directions.asp?css=1
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Owslebury
History

Detailed History

Marwell Hall is an ancient estate first recorded in a Domesday reference and owned by the Church and Corpus Christi College, Oxford, till the Reformation. A 14th-century house was probably re-built in the early-16th-century by the Seymour family and later owned by the Brett and Dacre families.

The present house was re-built in 1816 by Mr William Long in Tudor style and incorporating parts of the old house. It stood in about 7 acres of well-wooded grounds.

From 1867 to 1933, the Hall was owned by the Standish family and during World War 2, when a Mr and Mrs Hayes lived there, it was used as an airfield for fighter aircraft.

In 1969, the Hall and 417 acres of land were sold to John Knowles. He opened a zoo in 1972 but made the Hall his home until 1980, when it became the offices for Marwell Zoological Park. Today Marwell Zoological Park is world-famous and has become a major tourist attraction. There are many new buildings on the site and a new entrance with car parks.

Contact