Twyford Moors House 5179

Winchester, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

The site has gardens of some 3.25 hectares, which remain much as they were originally laid out. Features include a sunken ornamental rockery and grotto, a round garden centred on an ancient oak tree, traditional squares, topiary and rose garden, croquet and tennis lawn. There are also 12 hectares of parkland.

History

The house was built between 1861 and 1862 by Conway Mordaunt Shipley, grandson of Jonathan Shipley of Twyford House.

Detailed Description

The 3.25 hectares (8 acres) of formal gardens are as originally laid out, with a sunken ornamental rockery and grotto, a round garden centred on an ancient oak tree, traditional squares, topiary and rose garden, croquet and tennis lawn. The parkland, of about 12 hectares (30 acres), was originally planted with two specimens of every known type of tree in Britain. This created a stunning landscape of mature trees with numerous copses. An avenue of broad leaf trees lines the entire length of the eastern boundary and there are countless specimen trees. There are also 500 yards of double bank fishing.

The house has been sold twice from 2004-2008. Currently a landscape assessment is being prepared.

Features
  • Rockery
  • Description: Sunken ornamental rockery.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Rose Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tennis Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Croquet Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: An avenue of broad leaf trees lines the entire length of the eastern boundary.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house has a fine Gothic revival interior (now listed), including the hall, staircase and fireplaces richly decorated with exacting designs in oak, stone, marble and plaster.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Grotto
  • Earliest Date:
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: There is a round garden centred on an ancient oak tree.
  • Topiary
  • Earliest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Twyford
History

Detailed History

The house was built between 1861 and 1862 by Conway Mordaunt Shipley, grandson of Jonathan Shipley of Twyford House (possibly to escape the effects of the turnpike road which had dissected the parkland to the east of Twyford House). Conway employed Henry Woodyer to design the house with a fine Gothic revival interior (now listed), including the hall, staircase and fireplaces richly decorated with exacting designs in oak, stone, marble and plaster. There is also a Lodge by Woodyer.

Conway Shipley died in 1888, but his widow lived there till 1933 dying at the age of 90. It then passed to Curtis Mordaunt Lea Shipley who opened it as a Country House Hotel in 1935. The hotel ran only until the World War 2. Curtis divorced but his wife, Carrie, continued to live there, marrying a second time and becoming Mrs John Dykes. She continued to live there with her son, Robert Mordaunt Shipley until 1988. The estate was sold in 1989.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Associated People

Just one person associated to Twyford Moors House

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here