Twyford House 5173

Winchester, Winchester, Hampshire, England

Brief Description

The house was originally Tudor or Jacobean, and was altered early-18th-century. The house is now three dwellings. Features include many fine trees, a walled garden, lawns and a well-preserved 19th-century pavilion.

History

Substantial alterations were made to the Tudor or Jacobean house in the early-18th-century. An early-19th-century Toll road cut off part of the garden.

Detailed Description

Twyford House has been divided into three dwellings, the most significant of which is named Twyford House and consists of two of the bays mentioned above. The largest part of the garden, including the pavilion where Benjamin Franklin wrote part of his autobiography, has remained with Twyford House.

The garden, though smaller than it was, is beautiful with many fine trees including a mulberry reputed to be as old as the house. There is a walled garden to one side of the house. A herbaceous border runs down the rear garden side of the wall which finishes at the small, well-preserved pavilion and there are sweeping lawns to the rear of the house.

Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: There is a walled garden to one side of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Pavilion
  • Description: There is a pavilion where Benjamin Franklin is said to have written part of his autobiography.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Description: There are sweeping lawns to the rear of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Description: The first house was Tudor or Jacobean. In the early-18th-century, copyhold was granted to William Davies who made substantial alterations to the house so that it became Queen Anne in style. William?s son added a wing and the two semi-circular bays from ground to parapet on the garden front to the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: There is an avenue of pink and white chestnuts, which was cut off from the rest of the garden in 1820 (since incorporated into Twyford School).
  • Latest Date:
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Description: A herbaceous border runs down the rear garden side of the wall which finishes at the small, well-preserved pavilion.
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: There is a mulberry reputed to be as old as the house.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Twyford
History

Detailed History

The first house was Tudor or Jacobean. In the early-18th-century, copyhold was granted to William Davies who made substantial alterations to the house so that it became Queen Anne in style. William's son added a wing and the two semi-circular bays from ground to parapet on the garden front to the house.

The house was inherited by Jonathan Shipley who gained rapid preferment in the Church and became Bishop of St Asaph and Llandaff. He also became an ardent supporter of freedom for the American colonies and was a close friend of Benjamin Franklin. The house was known as Shipley House and Franklin visited on a couple of occasions where he reputedly wrote the first few pages of his autobiography in the garden pavilion.

In 1820 a new toll road was driven through the grounds by William Cobbett, leaving what had been the rear of the house facing the new road and cutting off a rather splendid avenue of pink and white chestnuts from the rest of the garden (since incorporated into Twyford School). Later, Conway Shipley had Twyford Moors built and moved there, perhaps to escape the noise of the new road.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here