Preshaw House 5044

Winchester, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

The site has an early-18th-century manor house (listed grade II). The house is surrounded by early-19th-century parkland. The site retains much of its earlier character, even though the house has been enlarged and is now apartments, and the outbuildings have been converted to housing. The parkland is farmed, though clumps of trees, copses and the beech avenue remain. The site retains the feel of a self-contained community.

History

In 1542 the Manor was granted to Sir William Paulet after the suppression of Hyde Abbey. When John Long bought it in 1720, the house had three gables and was flint-faced. Two extra gables were added, matching the originals but without flint facing. The house was sold to developers for conversion into eight apartments in 1986.

Detailed Description

The avenue and some parkland trees remain, although there was a great deal of damage in the storms of the 1980s. Roads encircle a large proportion of the parkland, but as it is in a valley it remains well-hidden. On a clear day the southern aspect has views of the Isle of Wight. Most of the original gardens on the south front of the house have reverted to farmland, leaving the remaining area divided into four units adjoining the ground floor apartments. The surrounding out buildings have been converted to housing, and with the chapel (built in 1864), the site retains the feel of a self-contained community.
Features
  • Clump
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Description: By 1870 an avenue of beech trees had been planted lining the main access road to the house from the north.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: In 1720, the house had three gables and was flint-faced. Two extra gables were added, matching the originals but without flint facing. In the early-19th-century a set of rooms designed by Nash was added, doubling the width of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Exton
History

Detailed History

In 1542 the Manor was granted to Sir William Paulet after the suppression of Hyde Abbey. When John Long bought it in 1720, the house had three gables and was flint-faced. Two extra gables were added, matching the originals but without flint facing. In the early-19th-century a set of rooms designed by Nash was added, doubling the width of the house.

The descendents of John Long sold the Manor in 1898, and after changing hands again in 1901, a further extension above the Nash rooms was built in 1910. In 1918 the Manor became the seat of the Baronetcy of Upham. The house was sold to developers for conversion into eight apartments in 1986. The farm and parkland surrounding the house remain in the ownership of the Pelly family.

Between 1810 and 1826, areas of parkland were created with tree clumps and copses. By 1870 an avenue of beech trees had been planted lining the main access road to the house from the north.

Associated People

People associated to Preshaw House

Contact