Campsie Glen 4409

Lennoxtown, Scotland

Brief Description

Campsie Glen is a natural, steep-sided rocky glen with waterfalls and pools. Some tree planting and path construction date from the 18th and 19th centuries, since when the glen has been a popular tourist destination. The remains of Old Machan Church and its graveyard are situated at the foot of the glen.

History

The first church of St Machan was erected in about 1175 although the present remains date from the 17th century. The first tree planting in the glen took place in the early-18th century and featured beeches on rocky outcrops. The glen was opened to the public in 1785 by John MacFarlan of neighbouring Ballencleroch. During the 19th century further parts of the glen were opened and paths constructed to enable access by growing numbers of visitors. A millennium project in 2000, part of the Kelvin Countryside Project, made long-needed improvements to access and interpretation.

Visitor Facilities

A public right of way leads up the Glen.

Detailed Description

Campsie Glen, situated on the south flank of Campsie Fell, carries the Kirk Burn down to the River Kelvin. It has a number of natural waterfalls and pools, many of which were given names during the 19th century. Nineteenth-century stone steps remain in places, although some other improvements for visitors such as a wooden ladder no longer exist. Tree planting consists of mixed broadleaves on the western side, the remnants of 18th-century planting on outcrops on the east side, some natural regeneration and largely coniferous plantations in the higher reaches.

As well as the glen proper there are the ruins of the Old Church of St Machan and its graveyard with the Kincaid-Lennox mausoleum, and the remains of the early-19th-century bleachworks situated at the lower end of the glen.

The glen is still a popular local destination.

Features
  • Church (featured building)
  • Description: Old St Machan's Church
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
River
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

A public right of way leads up the Glen.

Directions

The site can be accessed on foot from the car park in the village of Clachan of Campsie.
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Campsie
History

Period

  • 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

  • East Dunbartonshire Council

    Tom Johnston House, Civil Way, Kirkintilloch, G66 4TJ
References

References