The park includes the remains of garden terraces created for the blind and an ornamental archway, formerly leading to the front door from Church Road. Within the park are horse chestnuts planted in the original gardens. A pond that was once in the grounds has been filled in since the 1950s.
Westow Park was originally acquired by the local authority for a children's playground in the 1890s. It was augmented by the purchase in 1969/70 of the grounds of two demolished 19th-century villas, Windermere and Walmer, together with part of a pre-fab estate at College Green. Windermere had been converted and enlarged in 1873-6 for use as the Royal Normal College and Academy of Music for the Blind, which also used Walmer.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
DirectionsLondon Overground: Crystal Palace c.1km to north/east. Bus: 249