Knighton Wood, together with the adjacent Lords Bushes in Essex, is a remnant of ancient woodland of Epping Forest.
- Visitor Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Buckhurst Hill (Central). Bus: 20, 397, 549
- Green Belt
- Site of Nature Conservation Importance
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
Knighton Wood was enclosed in the C18th and remained in private ownership until 1930, when it was returned to the forest as public open space. From 1863 the Knighton Estate was owned by Edward North Buxton, a leading campaigner for Epping Forest. He laid out his grounds around the house. His fine gardens included exotic species and shrubs, a 1.5 acre lake with Pulham Rock Bank at the western end. Knighton was known for its spring show of rhododendrons and daffodils.
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust