Woodford Green is in two distinct sections, with a third and smaller green on the west side of High Road at High Elms. The southern section has perimeter horse chestnuts on its west side, with a poplar alley running through it. The main village pond remains and cricket has been played on the Green for centuries. A statue of Sir Winston Churchill, who was MP for Wanstead and Woodford from 1924-1964 was unveiled on 31 October 1959.
Settled since Saxon times, in the C17th Woodford attracted the rich, professional classes as a pleasant place to live at a convenient distance from London. The village character persisted until the arrival of the railway in the 1850s encouraged new housing development, bringing an influx of people and a more suburban aspect.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Woodford; South Woodford (Central) then bus. Bus: 179, 201, 275, W13
- 18th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust