This is a fragment of a large 16th-century estate that is now divided by the M11 to form two distinctive parks, Ray Park to the west and Ashton Playing Fields to the east. The park has notable cedar, sycamore, horse chestnut, lime and oak, with a number of rose beds in the area of the house. Ray Lodge was converted into the James Leal Centre in December 2009. To the north of the house is an octangular late-18th-century walled garden.
The 16th-century house was razed in the early-19th century, replaced in 1846 by a smaller house to the east. An artificial slate factory was set up in the grounds from around 1770 to around 1811, built by Sir James Wright who used techniques he had seen in Italy to manufacture clay-based products. The public park dates from the early-20th century.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open daily from 8am to dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open daily from 8am to dusk.
DirectionsTube: Woodford, (Central). Bus: 275, W14.
- Early 20th Century