An arboretum was begun in 1953 when Lord Montgomery planted a walnut tree and a horse chestnut. A succession of eminent people who stayed at the White House planted trees over a period of 25 years. In the 1930s the Great Oak Garden was designed around a 500-year-old oak tree and the Rose Garden also dates from this time. The estate is now managed by LB Waltham Forest and the White House is Haven House Children's Hospice.
The site was acquired from the Highams estate in 1905 and the villa was built to a design of CFA Voysey for Lady Henry Somerset the following year. Lt. Col. Sir Stuart Mallinson was the owner from 1925-81 during which time he expanded the estate and by 1933 it was 25 acres.
Visitor FacilitiesThere is access to the arboretum by prior appointment or on occasional open days.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThere is access to the arboretum by prior appointment or on occasional open days.
DirectionsTube: Woodford, South Woodford (Central) then bus. Bus: 20, 179, 275, W13
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Haven House Children's Hospice and White House Arboretum