Highams Park in Epping Forest is the surviving portion of about 55 acres of the landscape park of Highams laid out in the 1790s by Humphry Repton for the mansion at Highams, now Woodford County High School for Girls.
Repton's landscaping included a lake to the west in an area of forest known as The Sale, created with permission of the forest authorities to provide water for the deer in the woods and for recreation, and formed by a dammed section of the River Ching. In 1890 the lower part of Highams Park encompassing the River Ching and its boating lake was purchased by the Corporation of London, added to Epping Forest and opened to the public in 1891.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Woodford (Central). Rail: Highams Park then bus. Bus: 275
- Late 18th Century
- 18th Century
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Highams Park Epping Forest
London Parks and Gardens Trust