The buildings are ranged around a landscaped quadrangle laid to grass, divided in two by a flagstone path with a central war memorial of 1920. The quadrangle is partly cloistered and has perimeter paths with a series of benches along the sides. The west side of the quadrangle has a screen consisting of a series of arches with ornamental railings and central gateway leading onto the terrace that overlooks the main school playing fields and cricket field.
Bancroft's School was founded in 1737 as a result of a bequest of 1728 by Francis Bancroft for the establishment of an almshouse and charitable school for 100 boys, to be run by the Drapers' Company. The original School and Almshouses were in Mile End Road in East London, but in 1884 a new site was sought in rural surroundings for the sake of the pupils' health. Bancroft's School moved to Woodford Green in 1889 and its collegiate style buildings and chapel remain, although the school has been extended over the years.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is only open occasionally.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is only open occasionally.
DirectionsTube: Woodford (Central) then bus. Rail: Chingford then bus. Bus: 20, 179, W13
London Parks and Gardens Trust