Enclosed by C19th railings with an arched entrance, the front area of the churchyard has a number of chest tombs and fine horse chestnut trees. In c.1950 the larger area behind the church was laid out as a public garden, the headstones cleared to the edges with a path made up of headstones.
St Edward the Confessor was the first king to be associated with Havering, establishing a palace at Havering-atte-Bower in what is now Havering Country Park. Romford was one of the three parishes within the Royal Manor; the parish church stands on the site of a small chapel of 1410, possibly the first permanent building when Romford moved to higher ground to avoid the River Rom's frequent flooding. The new, larger church was erected in 1849/50 to serve the town's growing population. Until 1860 church and churchyard were separated from the market place by butchers’ Shambles.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Romford. Bus: 66, 86, 87, 103, 165, 174, 248, 348, 370, 373, 496, 500.
London Parks and Gardens Trust