The churchyard has headstones dating from the early-16th century, the oldest near the south porch. A Celtic Cross commemorates the Roy family of Greenford Hall, an 18th-century building that still stands nearby. Fine trees in the churchyard include a monkey puzzle and an ash and a small garden of rest dates from 1979.
Grenan Forde is first mentioned in 846 AD, the ford presumably crossing the River Brent. The Manor of Greenford was owned by Westminster Abbey until the 16th century, and manor house and church were in the centre of the hamlet, the surrounding area rural into the 20th century. Holy Cross Old Church was built or rebuilt in the late 15th/early-16th century on the site of an earlier church. By 1939 it was too small for the growing parish and a new largely timber church was built at right angles to it.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/Tube: Greenford (Central). Bus: 92, 105.
Church of England (Diocese of London)
London Parks and Gardens Trust