The church, set on top of a small hill overlooking Northolt Village Green, is reached by a lime tree walk from a gate at the bottom. Situated adjacent to the churchyard are notable earthworks of the moated medieval manor house, excavated in the 1950s and '60s.
St Mary the Virgin Church dates from around 1300 although there may have been an earlier church of some sort. The parish originally consisted of 3 hamlets, Northolt Village, West End and Wood End, of which only Northolt recogniseably survives. In 1718 a pair of external buttresses were constructed on the west wall as it was feared the church was in danger of falling down the hill. The 14th-century font was given by Sir Nicholas Brembre or Brember, Lord of the Manor, who was executed at Tyburn under Richard II in 1388. His headless body reputedly haunted his old manor thenceforth on the anniversary of his death.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted. The church is open Saturday mornings 10am-noon.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted. The church is open Saturday mornings 10am-noon.
DirectionsTube: Northolt (Central). Bus: 90, 140, 282.
Official WebsiteClick Here
Diocese of London
London Parks and Gardens Trust