A lost garden and country house demolished in the 20th century. The house was originally built in 1579 and later remodelled in 1724. The grounds featured ornamental lakes, canals and avenues.
The original house was built in 1579 by John Pepys, great-grandfather of Samuel Pepys.
The Hall stood in a park of 34 hectares to the south of the village church. By 1661 the Hall had a formal garden and in 1770 there were canals. A small ornamental lake in front of the house and the avenue to the south still survived in 1872.
In 1774 the Reverend W. Cole wrote: '...at a small distance from the Church, and south of it, stands a very elegant seat, belonging to Mr. Pepys, adorned with beautiful gardens and canals about it...'
The Ordnance Survey Map of 1887 indicates a canal to the south of the hall with lake and fish ponds. Then on the axis of the canal, a double avenue led into the park. To the north-east there was a walled kitchen garden with a glasshouse and rustic summer houses.
The sale particulars of 1921 includes photographs of a topiary parterre. The parkland was offered in 1930 by the Chivers family to be used for the building of a village college. The hall has been demolished and the site has been developed for housing.
- Great House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
Detailed HistoryJohn Pepys, great-grandfather of Samuel Pepys, built a substantial red-brick mansion in 1579. It was later remodelled in 1724 and remained in the Pepys family until 1805.
- Associated People