Larkswood Park includes part of the ancient woodland of Larks Wood, and has fine oak and hornbeam trees.
Larkswood was owned in around 1920 by Charles Roper, a dairy farmer who also owned Highams Park and Hale End cricket grounds. Larkswood Park was created by Chingford Borough Council in 1936, at which time an open air pool 'with accommodation for 2,500 bathers' was provided, built on the site of Larks Farm at a cost of £24,000. Designed for racing and water polo, it was considered one of the finest open-air pools in the country and was opened on 28 July 1936 by Sir Kingsley Wood, Minister of Health. However, in 1987 the pool was finally closed.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Highams Park. Bus: 212, 444, W16
London Parks and Gardens Trust