A landscape park designed in 1842 by Decimus Burton around a Georgian house, featuring lakes and tree avenues.
Hemingford Park was established in the mid-19th century.
Detailed DescriptionHemingford Abbots Park was designed in 1842 by Decimus Burton. The Georgian house stands in the centre of a well wooded park of 28.3 hectares with a lake and fish pond, to the south-west of the village.
The south drive commences at a thatched lodge and then is flanked by rose beds and a giant yew when it sweeps opposite the front door. The north drive is from the High Street and passes through an avenue of lime trees. There are clumps of trees and larger plantations within the park, and one of the ponds has a small island reached by a rustic bridge.
The 1920 sale particulars list a rose garden with a sundial on a marble column with rose beds edged with dwarf box:
'A double tennis lawn is shaded by oak and cedar trees, whilst beyond is long grass and a long rose bed. At the end of the terrace is a beautiful rock garden with small pools. Beyond are flower beds, rambler arches, roses, wilderness walks and shrubberies sheltering the house from the cold winds. The grounds are carpeted in season with primroses and daffodils. There is also a partly walled kitchen garden with central water tank edged with clinker and planted with plenty of wall and espalier fruit trees. There is a large lean-to vinery and smaller glass house'.
Lawn, Lake, Pond, Island, Ornamental Bridge, Tree Avenue
- Hemingford Abbots
Detailed HistoryHemingford Abbots Park was established in 1842.
- Associated People