The Elms, Houghton 6012

Houghton, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of The Elms include a variety of mature trees, including monkey puzzles, island beds and a conservatory.

History

The Elms was created in the mid-19th century as a private residence for George William Brown.

Detailed Description

Brown took a great interest in the garden, planting fine conifers, pines and many bulbs. Today the trees have reached maturity and provide one of the few examples of Victorian garden layouts in the county. There are monkey puzzles, cedars and cupressus towering above cercis, euonymus, berberis and pyracantha. These are arranged in island beds filled with standard roses and edged with bedding plants.

The large conservatory with its semi-circular glass roof is on the south side of the house and in good repair. In the spring, snowdrops and aconites are followed by drifts of daffodils and then bluebells.

Features
  • Island Bed
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Conservatory
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Houghton and
History

Detailed History

Built in 1868 for George William Brown this large three storey Victorian house stands in 3.2 hectares of grounds along the Bridle Road. Brown was a partner in the family firm of millers—Brown and Goodman. Recently, The Elms has been converted into an apartment complex.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust