At present this is a domestic garden surrounding a remodelled house (1813). The land was owned by Ramsey Abbey and there has been a church on the original site since 973. The garden goes down to the river Ouse and there is a large pond, known as the sluice pond, which could have been used as a holding fish pond for the Abbey. Traces of brickwork in the ground may have lined the narrow 'cut' from the river to the village street on the east side of the property which was used by villagers to bring coal etc up from the river. A former rector filled this in when it was no longer in use and built a cottage at the street end to prevent it being used as a right of way.
There has been a church on this site since 973 and the land was used at that time as a gathering place for arable, livestock and fishery products. A large pond, known as the sluice pond, borders the river and the area to the east which could have been used as a holding fish pond, or an inlet from the river for mooring Abbey boats collecting produce. There is written evidence that the Abbey employed two men to oversee the boat area locally.
Detailed DescriptionThe garden was landscaped in the 19th century and there are remains of the existing shrub planting on the east side near the boat house.
- Water Feature
- Description: Sluice pond used by Ramsey Abbey
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- House (featured building)
- Description: Original date of house not known, remodelled in 1813, and part demolished in 1929
- Latest Date:
- Access & Directions
DirectionsExit road from A14 between junctions 24 and 25. At T junction turn left, the Old Rectory is 1st house on right. Bus no.55 from Huntingdon
- Hemingford Grey
This is a Grade II listed house renovated in the early-19th century with 'Strawberry Hill' gothic features. In 1929 it was again in need of repair and part of the back of the house was demolished. The Church Commissioners sold the land in 1959 to the family of the present incumbent.
There is a possible earlier layout to the land connected with its history of being in the ownership of Ramsey Abbey.
- Victorian (1837-1901)